The Change Starts With YOU! Rediscover Nature

For our family playing outside is a huge part of our everyday. We live in the country on 4 beautiful acres and it would be a crime not to enjoy nature in our own backyard.

Kids Canoeing, Splashing in the pond. Kawartha Lakes Pond, Country living in Kawartha Lakes

Nikon Canada Nikon Moments, Canadian Backyard Ice Rink, Canadian Winter Skating Party

Wild Turkeys in backyard. Kids watching Turkeys play

Here Is Our Favourite Way to Discover Nature EVERYWHERE!

I know the summer is the optimum time to enjoy your time outside but fall is my favourite time to take a road trip and hike. One of our favourite nature activities to do well hiking or in our own city and anywhere we end up on a road trip is Geocaching. It is a free treasure hunt that runs worldwide. Once you and your family start Geocaching I guarantee you, you will be itching to find your next treasure!

Geocaching Kawartha Lakes Ontario

What Direction Is Our Future Heading?

I was surprised to read over on Takemeoutside.ca/rediscovernature that less than 10% of kids are spending time in nature. Those statistics shocked me and at the same time disappointed me. Canada is a beautiful place, each corner and conservation area are packed with new discoveries.

Bobcaygeon Kawarth Lakes Ontario

I know many don’t live in the country like me, but the parks in each city is your opportunity to let your children run and explore the beauty of nature. It is our job as parents to introduce the birds, bugs and talk about the wonders of the sky and the history of this great land we call home! Let your kids RUN!

Cobourg Beach

Since it is obvious our relationship with nature is disappearing. Nature Valley talked to 3 generations and asked them one simple question: What did you like to do for fun as a kid?

Be prepared to be shocked and a little upset!

How did that video make you feel? Together we can stop this sad but true future for the generations to come!

Mark Your Calendars for Sunday, September 20!

Nature Valley and Take Me Outside are joining forces to challenge you and your family to spend at least one hour enjoying the great outdoors on Sunday, September 20 for Rediscover Nature Day. Whether it be in your backyard or at one of Canada’s national parks, Geocaching or on a trail, let’s all get outside and #RediscoverNature.

It is easy to take part, check out this poster for more details!

REDISCOVER NATURE DAY IS ON SUNDAY, SEPTEMBER 20, 2015

>>Click here to RVSP to Rediscover Nature Day!<<

Having been to Banff once on a business trip back in 2007, I have to say one family will be enjoying one of Canada’s most beautiful pieces of heaven. Banff and Lake Louise is absolutely breathtaking and holds a spot on my family’s bucket list. The picture below almost seems like I am standing in front of a tourist backdrop when it is in fact overlooking Banff.

In R Dream Banff

Nature Valley is Generous!

One lucky reader has the chance to WIN a bundle of Nature Valley gear to help your family Rediscover Nature ($50 value)

(2) Nature Valley Rediscover Nature draw-string backpack | (2) Nature Valley travel size LED flashlight | (4) Nature Valley stainless steel 16oz water bottle | (2) Nature Valley Lunch Box snack bars.

Nature Valley Rediscover Nature Day

Canada only (excluding Quebec), ends September 21st, 2015.

Thank you for reading In R Dream!

Although this post is sponsored, the opinions are completely my own based on my experience.

Comments

1. kathy downey says:

The video makes me feel kind of sad knowing that kids will not experience things i have growing up but some how it also makes me feel happy for all the new things they will experience with all the new things changing in the world so fast today. I liked the video

2. kathy downey says:

It was a beautiful day I was outside for a couple hours

3. ivy pluchinsky says:

love biking ride

4. we loved to play tag as a kid

5. Nicole Jubleew says:

Watching the video reminds me why it’s so worth all the work, chaos and organizing for us to go camping and re-connect with nature. I loved to bike, skate, ski, and hike as a kid and I hope that I’m passing that love along.

6. being outside is all we done as kids, today it’s a battle to get kids away from electronics

7. The video brings back childhood memories.

8. Victoria Ess says:

I loved bike riding.

9. The video made me remember the fun of my youth. We would be outside from morning til night everyday back when I was a kid. We try to do lots of outdoor things with our kids to keep them connected to nature. We fish, bike, skate, hike, ski and more.

10. lynn clayton says:

the vid reminded me of being a kido

11. i like hearing other families stories. we go outside daily and try to take a break from tv and screens

12. We are a family that likes to go for long walks together.Sometimes we pack lunches and stop to have a picnic.I grew up on the shores of a lake and I spent nearly every day outside.I have some wonderful memories.

13. i loved to read

14. ivy pluchinsky says:

it brought back memories from my childhood

15. Aahhh..memories…always nice to take a walk down memory lane. Growing up being an outdoors person it was easy to instill a love of the outdoors in my daughter. Even though I grew up in a small town, and she in a big city.. she has as much fun jumping in puddles and getting dirty as I do!

16. Victoria Ess says:

It made me miss my childhood!

17. ivy pluchinsky says:

we love going on walks here

18. yep, in the rain!

19. Victoria Ess says:

She likes to go outside on daily walks!

20. we loved to run around until the sun went down

21. Brought back memories from my childhood

22. Spent the entire day at Marineland, that counts right? 😉

23. I’m too emotional today for videos like this. I’m crying during commercials. Definitely feel nostalgic.

24. Not yet today, hubby has the yard all dug up with the tractor. The kids went down to the lake though.

25. I liked to climb trees as a kid

26. Victoria Ess says:

I used to go on long bike rides as a kid.

27. The video made me remember how great it was growing up, being outside all the time and how much things have changed.

28. ivy pluchinsky says:

my niece loves riding her bike

29. ruth moreira-lozon says:

we don’t own a car, so we walk everywhere! sometimes it takes a little longer to get places because the kids (and sometimes us) can’t go past a park without trying out the swings or slides, but it is well worth it. We also have a pool which we are in EVERYDAY!!

30. we loved to build forts out of boxes

31. Amy Heffernan says:

Makes me feel happy!! I loved to play outside as a child and my son does too! We love to do everything as much as possible out doors!

32. Victoria Ess says:

They ride their bikes!

33. ivy pluchinsky says:

I rsvp’d for the event. will be taking my niece on an outdoor adventure

34. i used to play hide ‘n seek

35. ….off for a great bike ride on a great sunny day!

36. Victoria Ess says:

They try to spend a lot of time outside in the summer.

37. It made me sad to think how goes have changed from the childhood I grew up in of staying out until dark riding bikes and playing in the yard or neighborhood and even though we get out with my son, he probably won’t as much as we did when he gets older!

38. Marilyn Legault says:

When I was young, I liked to bike with my friends to the local park

39. My kids and I try to take our dog for a walk everyday.

40. I’m sick, but the video made me want to go outdoors.

41. It made me happy that we moved away from the busy city……living in a small town makes it easier to enjoy the little things and slow down a little.

I miss the days of my childhood where finding things to do outside was the way to go instead of sitting in front of a screen all day….

42. spend the afternoon at the park with my girl! always a fun time!

43. ivy pluchinsky says:

we go for walks and explore looking for rocks and other cool things

44. i used to like to play tag as a kid

45. I love to ride my bike, basketball, baseball

46. Carol Denny says:

Things have changed.We like to make sure the kids get outdoor play time every day.

47. Victoria Ess says:

They go outside a lot in the summer.

48. The video make me feel like going outside and taking Sophie. When I was younger I rode my bike everyday and I think me and Sophie should make it a habit to ride bikes every evening.

49. ivy pluchinsky says:

we love going to the park

50. I liked to play Jailbreak as a kid

51. The video makes me reflect of how generations differ in terms of fun and what we have growing up. I liked to go biking when I was a kid … now all I see are kids enjoying video gaming.

52. Yes I have been outdoors today. Hanging out laundry and doing some gardening.

53. Victoria Ess says:

They go to the park

54. It was sweet. Reminded me of the times we went to the playground and park and had fun. Something I hope we can keep doing even now.

55. i liked to play hide and seek

56. Belinda McNabb says:

watching the video made me miss being a kid. I used to love getting outside and going bike riding. Now my son loves to play in the yard, go to the park and of course hanging out and swimming!

57. Tried to RSVP but I get this message: Linky Tools subscription expired. List not available.

58. The video is well done. It really opened my eyes as a parent to how much my kids use technology. I let them watch the video and we talked about how important it is to get outside and reconnect with nature. We have been getting outside more often this summer but I’m nervous about our winter habits since it gets so cold here.

59. The video did confirm my observations on this generation and technology . I think it;s quite sad but I think with more effort we can definitely change that.

60. ivy pluchinsky says:

the video made me feel a little sad

61. I went for a walk to Tims for lunch. 30 mins each way.

62. Erika Letson says:

The video kind of made me feel sad. Our kids have way too much screen time and I feel bad they don’t get to experience things I did as a kid. I used to love to play outside for hours and I have been making more of an effort lately to get my kids outside more!

63. Victoria Ess says:

It made me feel a little sad.

64. Its hard to believe how much has changed in the last 20 years, such a difference, we must all do more to get kids active and to keep them active.

65. Marilyn Legault says:

I enjoyed the video although it had me teary by the end. We take the kids hiking in the woods behind our house whenever we can and sometimes are able to spot deer.

66. This video went from cute to sad to fun. Nature is important. When I was a kid I played outside way more than I played video games. My best memories were from being outdoors. The video games however, are a blur. If children don’t enjoy nature, will their whole childhood be a blur?

67. Danielle Nantau says:

I loved the video! Reminded me so much of my own childhood. I’ll be raising my daughter the same! Outdoors is the place to be 🙂

68. Wendy Hutton says:

as a kid living on a farm we were always outside we loved playing in the bushes making forts or just walking around, my kids also loved exploring the same bushes when visiting my parents as we lived in the city, we were always at the park or trails down by the river they loved how quiet it was compared to the city

69. Wendy Hutton says:

was out this morning but mainly to go shopping

70. Love the video! I encourage kids to get outside and enjoy playing outdoor games. Also our family walks trails and enjoy the park.

71. The video was nice, I always encourage my kids to walk At least once a day and limit screen time

72. Me and my kids walk at least once a day!

73. Doris Calvert says:

I remember never coming in, but back then we did not have child abductions, or murder’s of people here. We would build forts in +30 or -30 , ride bikes, run through sprinklers, now a days I think parents use TV as a baby sitter, if you teach your kids outdoors is fun by camping, playing baseball, picnics and the list goes on, 5 star hotels with wifi is not always the answer, what about a cabin with no tv?? The video is sad really, the simple job of just being a kid is gone

74. This video made me think of my childhood. I was always out in the back yard kicking the ball and going for walks at the park in our neighbourhood with my grandma.

75. ivy pluchinsky says:

we love going outside and playing at the park, playing in the bounceroo, or just being outside in general, love going for walks

76. Makes me feel a little sad 🙁 I am guilty of giving in to our kids too much when all they want to do is play video games 🙁 Nothing better than a hike in the woods playing with the dirt and fishing just like I did as a kid. We do go on family hikes just not enough…..hope this will change 🙂

77. nicolthepickle says:

It made me happy that we live in the country and my kids can enjoy all this.
    We played outside a lot as kids, made forts out of trees and snow.

78. Carol Denny says:

Thing have changed so much. We try to get out every day with the kids. Go for bike ride or long walks.

79. Carol Denny says:

Not yet. Its raining.

80. The video brings back memories. I still go blueberry picking. I was outside as often as possible as a Kid.
    I visited my grandchildren in August and we did a ton of outdoor stuff.

81. We love getting outside for some walking and hiking.

82. It makes me feel like we don’t spend enough time outdoors. When I was a kid we were always outside. My kids ride their bikes and spend a little time outside. Things have changed a lot over the years.

83. Victoria Ess says:

I felt happy watching it!

84. The video made me feel a little sad because it is so true..as a child I almost lived outside, everyday was an adventure from playing quietly to swinging off the long branches of the weeping willow, we had so much more freedom and explored mountain trails,streams and took long bike rides… my kids, yes they play their games and TV alot but we do take them out for nature walks, go camping but they do not venture out on their own like I did! they are shocked when i tell them we rode in the back of pickup trucks..did not wear helmuts biking… times are so different! But they have the love of Nature and we take them out almost every weekend…

85. Karla Sceviour says:

I loved to ride bike and always be outside when I was a kid. Times have definitely changed now,and kids don`t get outside like we used to. Video games and technology is more important to them,that is sad.

86. I thought the video was silly. It’s true, it really is, but I think it stressed the point a little too much. I loved riding a bike and playing chase as a kid. I’m less inclined to go out and play as an adult, but when I make the time it’s wonderful.

87. Makes me feel that things have changed

88. Juliee Fitze says:

Loved the stories reminded me about a lot of things I did as a child and made me glad that my grandchildren aren’t aloud to play video games during daylight hours. They go out and play for the day.

89. Angela Mitchell says:

It made me a little a sad actually because my kids don’t get outside as much as I did. My favourite thing to do outside was to play fort or make a house in the trees.

90. My kids are grown but we loved walking through the woods and going camping!!

91. I loved to go biking outdoors when I was a kid. The video makes me sad that I’m not outdoors as much with my family

92. Anne Taylor says:

Ahh the video made me miss my mom. I spent my childhood outside playing with the neighbourhood kids, eating rhubarb picked from the garden dipped in sugar, picking strawberries warmed by the sun! My kids are all grown now, but we make sure that our grandkids get outside and down to the ocean as often as possible. Living in Victoria, we have mountains, lakes, hiking trails and the ocean at our fingertips; we are blessed!

• Anne our kids love to pick the rhubarb right from the garden dipped in sugar too! Living that close to the ocean sounds so beautiful! Sorry you miss you mom but at least you have these memories to hold close.

93. Darrah Bailey says:

Makes me feel how much things have changes in this world, makes me feel kind of sad and happy.. I liked the video

94. The video made me feel nostalgic for my childhood and excited to raise my daughter outdoors.